FIGHT WASTE, FEED PEOPLE
**2020-21 Update: No free meal handouts during the summer. Check back for more information on Fall 2021 programs.**
Info about the UW Frozen Meals Program:
- Wearing a face mask is required.
- Everyone will be expected to follow social distancing rules and stay 6 feet apart.
- Staff will provide plastic bags, hand sanitizer, and whatever else may be needed to ensure a safe experience for all.
- We do not have a specific quota of frozen meals; they are available until they run out. Please be considerate and take what you need.
- You may be required to “sign in” with your name and contact info in case The Crossing needs to conduct COVID-19 contract tracing.
- Come to the front door (on University Ave), where staff will guide you to the pickup area. The Crossing is still CLOSED to the public until further notice.
The UWFMP pickup will be available every Friday from 12:00-2:00 PM and Tuesdays 3:00-5:00PM during the semester as food is available.
**due to COVD-19, we are not able to have recovery meals this semester**
Free Student Meals (during academic year)
Tuesday Meal served 12:00 – 1:00 pm
Come early before all the food is gone!
The Crossing is partnering with the Food Recovery Network Student Org, the UW Campus Food Shed and Hillel to serve free lunches to students with food leftover from dorm dining halls.
Thursday Dinners served 6:00 – 7:00 pm
Come early before all the food is gone! The Food Recovery Network Student Org, Campus Kitchen Project, and the UW Campus Food Shed are partnering to serve free dinners to students with food leftover from dorm dining halls. Held at The Crossing. Contact these groups if you are interested in volunteering on Thursdays.
Slow Food UW
Slow Food UW is a food justice organization that hosts many of their events in our building. From their website:
“Slow Food UW was founded in 2007 by Genya Erling as a way to bring local foods from Southern Wisconsin farmers to the campus. The small group of students who spent their days cooking and enjoying local food together are the pioneers of our current organization. The organization slowly grew as members and volunteers spread the word. Our mission sets itself apart from the broader Slow Food movement by looking to provide good, clean, fair food at an affordable price for all.”
“Our mission is to promote and model an alternative food system where food is good, clean, and fair for all by supporting sustainable food production, creating an inviting communityaround food, and advancing food justice in the Madison area.”
Slow Food currently hosts Family Dinner Nights on Mondays and the Slow Food Café on Wednesdays during lunch. See our calendar for Slow Food events held at The Crossing. Find more information at http://slowfood-uw.org/ or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Slow Food UW is not affiliated with The Crossing, any religion or any religious organization.*